Connecting to IDP(9/21/2020) to What is Peace? (FOR KIDS!)







September is the month when school starts in Massachussettes.  For over a decade, I have observed and celebrated IDP,  the United Nations International Day of Peace.  A day to be intentional on being kind, ceasing fire, stopping violence.  Jeremy Gilley started the non-profit organization, Peace One Day to institutionalized, Peace Day in 1999.  100 people were aware of this out-of-the-box idea then.  Jeremy's goal for 2025 is to reach 3 billion people with his message of peace one day.  

As I have done for more than a decade, I will join Jeremy's effort.  I will take three steps.

1.  I will raise awareness in my family and my immediate community through simple pinwheels for peace made and decorated with thoughts of peace by my grandchildren and me.  The children are learning how to write letters and ride bikes.  We will be delivering our homemade "riding peace pinwheels" during the 11 days of global unity, starting on 9/11 UNITY DAY and ending on 9/21 PEACE DAY.  One of my former students called these days simply PEACE DAY WEEK.
Pinwheels for Peace is a multidisciplinary project.
Art Concepts in Pinwheels
Primary colors: Red, Yellow, and Blue     Secondary Colors: Purple, orange, green
Use crayons to color the background.  Crayons are made of wax and they will keep outside better.



Math Concepts in Pinwheels
Geometric Figures:  Rectangle, triangle, and square
Lines: Wavy, zig-zag, curly, broken, horizontal, vertical, diagonal, curved

Science Concepts in Pinwheels
Wind spins the pinwheel.  Resistance of the paper

Peace Education Concepts in Pinwheels

Symbols of peace, created by others, our own. mine is embedded on a serene ocean horizon 










Music and dance forms connected to Pinwheel making: Peace songs and dances














2. I will raise awareness of the 11 Days of Global Unity through this blog and Facebook posts.

3. On Peace Day, Tuesday, September 21, 2020, I will invite people in my neighborhood to join the Peace One Day Virtual Peace Day Observance.  On Sunday, September 19,2020, I will invite them to attend the virtual IDP Boston Observance






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zoom Connection to Biden's MLK Day of Service 2021

Connecting sounds to energizing times

My CAP 2020-2022 and CAS 2023 Journey